You are a child of God. It doesn’t matter what race, gender, or ethnicity you are. It doesn’t matter what country you live in or what type of situation or family you come from. It doesn’t matter what you have done in your past or where you are going in the future. You, just for being you, are a child of God. A son or daughter of a Heavenly King. How amazing is that?! Just take a minute to think about that.
There is power in knowing whose you are. In knowing that you have a divine identity and you are loved by the one who created it all. I know that when I remember that I am a child of God, it changes the way I see the world and the way that I live. Because I no longer have to be afraid. I don’t worry about what others think about me or try so hard to look or act the way the world tells us is cool. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me so much for just being myself. I don’t need make up, to have a perfect life, to have a certain amount of social media followers, or to wear a certain size of pants to have worth in my Father’s eyes. Remembering that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always there and that they love me for who I am and how I look gives me power.
I am filled with confidence in social situations where I am seen as different than what the world deems cool. I am filled with courage to stand up for what I believe in even when I am alone because I know that I have the Lord right behind me. Walking away from people who don’t hold the same standards that I do suddenly turns from scary to desirable because even though I may lose a few friends, it is worth it to me to have the spirit with me always and to surround myself with people who will respect my standards and help me to live them.
I no longer feel like I am missing out on parties and events just because I stay at home reading or hang out with my family. I love going out but I have learned that I would rather feel lonely at home but listen to the spirit than go out and find myself in situations that tempt me to compromise my standards. That used to be super hard for me. I liked being involved and feeling like everyone really liked me. But I learned that staying close to Heavenly Father and having His spirit with me is more important than being popular.
Sure, I feel like I miss out sometimes because I don’t watch or listen to a lot of the media that is popular nowadays and I no longer go out with people that don’t allow me to have the spirit. I do feel lonely a lot and that can be hard. But it is worth it. It is worth waking up everyday and knowing that I am worthy in the Lord’s eyes. It is worth not losing the spirit for a few hours when I go out with the wrong type of people. You should definitely be kind to everyone and even friends with most, but that doesn’t mean that you have to spend time with people who make you feel uncomfortable, pressure you to lower your standards, or don’t allow you to feel the spirit.
When this life is over, we can only take 3 things with us: our character, our intelligence, and our relationships. That’s it. The world is often so focused on looking successful, earning a certain amount of money, having the newest technology and the coolest clothes, etc. But in the end, none of that matters. None of it truly matters. What does matter is who we are. How we live and who we are striving to become. What does matter is what we have learned and how we use that to continue progressing. What does matter is how we treat people, especially those that we love. These are eternal.
Everything else in life fades away. Trends change, hardware breaks, and money comes and goes. When we die, nothing physical goes with us. But who we are, what we know, and the people that we love are eternal. How are you living? How are you acting? What are your goals in this life? What is most important to you in this life? Who are you living for? And where is your heart?
“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” -Matthew 6:21
It is easy to get caught up in material possession and having a cool car and a big house and the newest clothes, etc, but in the end, that stuff isn’t what is truly important. And when you remember that you are a child of God, that you have divine potential and a purpose, it changes your world. It makes letting go of possessions and staying away from temptations easier. It helps you to realize that you are beautiful just the way you are and that you have worth even if no one else sees it. As you draw closer to Christ, your desire to become like Him deepens and how you treat those around you changes. Suddenly being kind to others is more important than being right. Being virtuous is more important than being popular.
When you realize who you are and that you are never truly alone, it is powerful. You suddenly realize that anything is possible with the Lord on your side.

No comments:
Post a Comment