Saturday, December 29, 2018

What horses have taught me about God (and life)


Today, as I worked with Dash, I learned a lot about life. About how nothing goes as planned. How much God loves us. How love is a better motivator and answer than fear or force or anger. And that anything can truly be a joy if you have the right mindset.

I set out today working on some ground work and then just taking a walk on the ground beside my horse. I thought it would be a fun way to bond and explore. Then maybe we would ride or we would call it good. It didn’t matter to me as long as we continued learning and strengthening our relationship.

It all started out good. Dash listened great while doing groundwork in the arena. She was a little nervous as we started our walk and I realized that, though I spent a lot of time with her on the ground, I hadn’t really taken her to that area before. It made sense that she was a little wary. We just took our time walking and stopping and enjoying the surroundings. When needed, I circled her and told her to chill.

She relaxed and we were doing well. We crossed this canal into the field next to the ranch and she started getting super worked up. Her buddies neighed to her and she kept plowing into me and trying to go back every few steps. We did so many circles while I tried to calm her down and just get her to stand and breathe. Eventually, Dash pulled the rope out of my hand, jumped the canal, and cantered back to where her pasture gate was.

It kinda sucked, but it happens. Horses are smart and strong creatures, but they still need to learn and be taught. They still have fears and concerns. I love working with them, but it can be easy to get upset or angry if you don’t remember that it is our responsibility to teach and help them. Just as we wouldn’t get upset with a child for not knowing how to react to new things, we need to be calm and patient as we help our horses adjust and progress.

When I was riding to compete, I used to get so frustrated when I couldn’t get my horse to do what I wanted. We would fight with each other and I would often end up in tears. My problem back then was that I was trying to rush it. And I wasn’t looking at my horse as a child I was helping to nurture, I was looking at them as a servant who was going to do what I wanted. I was trying to meet a timeline and I didn’t take the time needed to build up my horse and my relationship with them the right way.

Now, I don’t work with horses for money or awards, I work with them because of my love and passion in helping them grow. They each have their own personality and untapped potential and I love helping them grow into themselves. Horses can do some pretty amazing things if we just take the time and build up their confidence.

If Dash had run off like that years ago, I would’ve gotten upset. I would’ve been overcome with frustration and anger. I would’ve let her run free and caught her when I calmed down or just threw her back into the pasture and given up.

But I didn’t do any of that. I shook my head and laughed, then grabbed my horse and tried again. And again. And again. Dash pulled her rope out of my hands and even dragged me through the snow several times when I tried to just walk her in a new place. But I didn’t give up or freak out or become angry. I know what it feels like to be scared and try something new. From my view point, her behavior seems a little ridiculous, but that isn’t what it looks like to her. I needed to help her feel calm and safe and have the confidence to go to new places and to trust me.

That being said, I also know when to stop. After several failed attempts in the field, I knew Dash was just getting more worked up. Fighting with each other out in the field wasn’t going to get us anywhere. I decided to end on a good note by taking her into the arena and lunging her again. I wanted her to point her focus back onto me and listen to my cues and body. She didn’t have to run (though she did a little haha), she just had to move off of my body and stop when I asked her.

That is what lunging is-a tool. Not a way to run your horse to death and get out bucks (though it can also help with the bucking lol). It is to be used to help you and your horse connect and be working off of each other. It is a beautiful thing when it all comes together. When you can get your horse to stop and change directions while barely moving your body.

Dash finally calmed down and worked with me. Once I felt like we were in a good place, I groomed her and then turned her back out into her pen. Maybe our day wouldn’t have been called a “win” to most people. But what I have recently learned is that training horses has nothing to do with winning and losing.

 It has to do with making a connection with the horse and being patient. To build up a horse as they are ready. To push them out of their comfort zone enough to help them continue to progress, but not so much that they fall apart. And when they do fall apart, to be patient and understand. To not let them get away with bad behavior, but to be in charge in a gentle and kind way.

The more I work with horses, the more I think that how I feel when working with them is how God feels about us. God sees our potential and wants to help us grow into it. He is kind, patient, and loving. He never takes away our agency but helps us to learn how to make the right choice. Which is how we work with horses. 

We don’t bind them down and force them into submission. We develop a relationship with them and help them learn how to make good decisions. We want the horse to choose to be with us and to enjoy life, not feel like we take away their freedom. That is what God desires of us too.

We often become scared or “spooked” when taken into a new part of life. We might fight Heavenly Father and turn back and run to where we feel safe and comfortable. But He will not give up on us. He will be there to strengthen and support us and when we are willing, He will be there alongside us as we face those challenges.

 And as we trust Him and continue moving forwards, we will learn, grow, and change in amazing ways. We will begin to fulfill that potential that only He saw in us at the beginning. We are still far from the finish line, but look how far we have come from the start!

This is the joy that comes from working with horses. This is the joy that God has as He helps us in this life. I am ever in awe that I get to work with such amazing creatures. Created by Heavenly Father with patience and joy, the horse is a beauty to behold. And even more beautiful is the feeling of connecting with such an amazing being. Horses may not use words, but they speak to us. And if we really listen, we can connect with their souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment